on any thumbnail below to view an enlargement)
The Battle Monument was erected by the citizens of Baltimore in honor of the fallen defenders of Baltimore during the 1814 bombardment of Fort McHenry by the British, following the burning of Washington, DC.
Located in the downtown area, the Monument had become seriously decayed due to exposure to the elements and heavy pollution.
The Monument, composed mainly of locally quarried Cockeysville marble, had eroded to the point that all surfaces were reduced to a "sugary" texture. Additionally, all of the marble elements were severely cracked, with cracks up to 2 cm wide running through entire pieces.
Loose stone and bronze fragments were catalogued and removed for safekeeping and the entire Monument was given a general cleaning. Stains, which consisted of heavy algae growths, calcium deposits, and carbon buildup from pollution were treated with poultices. Cracks were cleaned and routed out. The surfaces were filled with a soft mortar designed to match the existing marble as closely as possible. A considerable amount of injection mortar was required. As work injecting the cracks progressed, the joints of the marble were also repaired. A very soft pointing mix was designed, with a color selected by the owner.
Back to PROJECTS MENU