Résumé for Reinaldo Sculptor
in Vigo, Spain in 1944. At age 13, he began art classes at the Artistic
Association of Guipuzcoa. In 1959, Reinaldo started his sculpture
training under sculptor Jorge Oteiza. He moved to Paris in 1963 to pursue
further studies in art and completed his studies in 1971. Returning to Spain,
he joined the Institute of Contemporary Aesthetic Analysis as a teacheralso
under Jorge Oteiza.
In 1973, he formed the sculpture school/studio in Aya which he directed until 1978. In 1980, Reinaldo founded the Association of Galician Sculptors. From 1980 to 1982, he served as President of the Fine Arts Department of Cultural Affairs of Guipuzcoa. While serving in this position, Reinaldo also served as Advisor to the Secretary of Culture of the Basque Government (Secretary Lavallen).
In 1982-1983, he co-founded and served as the first Director of the House of Culture Project which replaced the old fascist Cultural Clubs of Franco's regime with the new Houses of Culture.
Reinaldo was invited to come to the United States in 1984 to create a public sculpture for the Patriot Center which is located on the George Mason University Campus in Fairfax, Virginia. He has remained in the United States until the present.
In 1988, Reinaldo and his wife (Patricia Ghiglino) founded Professional Restoration, Inc.a company now operated by Patricia which specializes in the preservation and restoration of historic sculptures and architecture, as well as construction of new national memorials in the Washington, DC area.
Along these lines, Reinaldo has trained and supervised stone carvers and masons during the restoration of many significant national landmarksincluding the Freer Gallery of Art; the Smithsonian Castle; the Washington Monument; and the Barnard Sculptures at the Pennsylvania State Capitol. Reinaldo has also been responsible for fabrication and installation of new stonework, including the fountains, reflecting pools and monumental walls at the Korean War Veterans Memorial located on the Mall adjacent to the Lincoln Memorial, and the Women in Military Service for America Memorial located at Arlington National Cemetery.
works include a new 10-foot tall statue of Benjamin Banneker to be located
at L'Enfant Plaza opposite the Smithsonian Institution; modeling, molds,
and casting in concrete of new statues of the four Taft Memorial Bridge
Lions (originally sculpted by Roland Hinton Perry in 1912); and a bronze
bust of Sojouner Truth.
SELECTED ONE-MAN EXHIBITIONS: